Saturday, March 31, 2007

Lost Venues in Southern Ontario - THE JCC


Barux Haba!! Welcome to another installment of “Lost Venues” - it’s been over a year, but not to worry there are plenty of defunct venues not just in Toronto but all surrounding areas and I’m rededicated to bringing you, the reader, a little history lesson of Toronto and Southern Ontario hardcore.

In the centre of downtown Toronto, Bloor and Spadina, is the Miles Nadal Community Centre. Prior to the official name change it was simply known as the Jewish Community Centre or the JCC. For a short period of time (roughly two years I think – it seemed a lot longer) the majority of shows in Toronto were held here. Pretty much every touring band that might not have been big enough to draw at a bar played here. Like I said, I’m pretty sure there was only shows here from around 2000 to 2002 and the list of bands is pretty impressive. Saves the Day (LOVE Saves the Day), Fastbreak, The Swarm, Every Time I Die, 100 Demons, A Death for Every Sin, Blood Has Been Shed, No Warning ... and I'm just warming up!!

One of the best highlights of the JCC was during 100 Demons there was some drunk douchebag moshing like a … well, like a drunk douchebag. The song was done but this guy kept flailing around like an idiot and the “pit” was wide open except for Rod Full Contact who was taking a breather in between songs. So this guy stumbles into Rod from behind and I’m not sure if he knew this was the dude who ran into him, but regardless he proceeds to without even checking (you know, shoot first ask questions later) turn around and completely flatten him with a right cross. It was a beautiful sight to behold (because I was so fucking edge) and RIGHT on cue Sean Martin starts shredding “Eye of the Tiger”. You can’t write that shit!!!

So there you go, the JCC, a short lived mainstay in Toronto Hardcore, you can go there now and mosh in the Second Cup.

EDITOR’S SIDENOTE: I could not find a pic of a show here for the life of me, or a flyer. If you have one send it my way and I’ll update the picture.

No comments: