Friday, March 16, 2007

Renewed faith

So over the last few months my faith in the hardcore scene had been wavering a little under the pressure of the myspace millions (minions?) and seeing and hearing all the bullshit that they bring to shows these days. I go through this every once in a while, it lasted for three years once. But all it usually takes is one little reminder of why I love this music so much and I am back into it 100%. This past week I had three little reminders, and this could be pretty long, so go get a drink now.

First was hanging out with Chris Logan last Friday. One of the first things I thought when starting this band was, it would be cool to just get out and play a bunch of shows again, and then maybe record something. The first and only label I ever thought about putting it out was Goodfellow records. I've been friends with Chris since the mid/early 90's when Chokehold were the only band that mattered, and we played together in a band called 78 Days for a couple of years (and believe it or not we were signed to Trustkill Records, but good luck finding that record in their catalog). We've been talking about doing this To The Lions record for almost a year now, and it's taken us a while to get our shit together, but we sent Chris an unmixed track last week, and he instantly replied that he was "moshing right now" in his office. So now that we've convinced Chris we're actually going to finish the record, it will be officially be coming out in June 2007, exact date TBA. But the thing that really inspired was when he said "I'd probably be doing a lot better with the label if I put out shit I didn't like", but through almost 50 releases he hasn't done that, though I'm sure he gets hundreds of mascara smeared demos a month, and I'm honoured to be on that list of bands he does like. And he's older than me, and don't forget it ;)

The other things both happened at the show we played this wednesday in Burlington with Another Breath, Lions, The Kill Decibel and Eating Glass.

I can't say enough good about Another Breath. They were probably the best live band I've seen in the last couple of years, and just great all around guys. There ARE still cool, intelligent people in the scene, who don't only care about myspace, and "siq" mosh (speaking of sick mosh, apparently some young lady did actually barf on herself and get thrown out, but I must have missed it). And as always Steve and The Kill Decibel were rad, and still the best band in the area. And after a little misunderstanding being cleared up, Eating Glass are alright after all ;). They played a great first show and I look forward to seeing them again. Thanks Jose.

The last thing could have made me feel really old, but it actually did the opposite. Talking to a kid at the show about it being March Break for highschool kids, I said something like "yeah I remember highschool... that was about 16 years ago" and apparently he was only 15 as he proceeded to freak the fuck out. But that's right, hardcore has been my life for the last 19 years.

And buy this record, it's so damn good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

actually, i'm 16, not 15 haha